Monday 11 May 2015

Why Things Fell Apart

When I think about how my town crumbled, all I can think of is one word. Okonkwo. My best friend, my brother, he was the reason why Umuofia crumbled. I still love Okonkwo but I feel that he always looked at the negative side of things. I always tried to give him advice about what to do or try to help him think in deeper context but he didn't listen to me very much. I know I am not always right but I knew some of the advice that I gave Okonkwo could have worked out in his favour and I really wish he listened but at the same time one cannot change another person's actions and behaviour. I couldn't control Okonkwo nor anyone.

Our place was colonized by the British missionaries but it doesn't mean all was bad. Mr Brown was a very helpful person, a figure of whom I appreciated.  They built a church for us and they built a school but sure there were the downsides, our religion was lost in the fog as we had to move into Christianity. Okonkwo I feel overreacted, killing himself was way too far. It is a move that is regarded by our culture as a disgrace, killing your own body and soul is a huge sign of weakness and disgrace in our native Igbo culture. Okonkwo should have just realized that we were not the richest nation nor one of the most powerful places in the world and that we would easily been beaten by a Western nation that came to colonize us and rule us. I knew that there was nothing we could do about it, our culture is strong internally, we have formed a great bond and foundation but on the outside we are nothing in power compared to Britain so it was no surprise they took us by storm.

Okonkwo was a great human being, he was the complete man of Umuofia but he never really looked at many things in a positive way. Okonkwo could have seen all the actions in a more positive light but he took things too seriously, he had a pessimistic attitude. Sadly ever since he left us, our inner bond among his fellow people, among my fellow people has just fallen. His death has caused our culture to break into pieces, it is all shattered just like glass. I don't know if our culture can ever be the same again, our pieces are still there but they are broken, they have fallen apart and right now.....I cannot find a solution on how we can attach them and bring it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment