Sunday 30 August 2015

Losing his identity

Overall, it has been a good summer break for me aside from how fast it went, which annoys me. I went to New York City in July and spent a whole month there. I really enjoyed it there as I did all the usual things like go to Central Park, Rockefeller, Empire State Building, see a play on Broadway and then yeah so many other things as well.

In New York, I was able to see many ads on billboards especially in Times Square where women were being objectified. There I could remember about the objectification of women discussion we were having in class. I was able to see so much cultural diversity in New York as I met people working at different places who emigrated to New York City from India, China, Italy, Zimbabwe etc. This really got me thinking on the cultural emigration of people coming from less developed countries and going to more developed countries and starting a completely new generation and life in a more developed place. I was in a taxi with my family and we were talking to these taxi driver who emigrated from Ghana to United States and how he goes 6 months every year back there to meet his wife and kids living in Ghana. He was explaining how much of a struggle it is for people migrating from one place to another and how he himself has left his culture behind when living in New York. I remember that he stated he is losing his cultural identity of being Ghanaian and how he doesn't like that matter.

New York City really took the cultural diversity I saw too another level and this was really linkable to the first few things I learned in IB language and literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment