Sunday 7 September 2014

Blog Post #1, About Me and Language

Hello to all the people who may be reading this at this time.

This is my first time making a blog so yeah.... it's quite new to me. I created this blog for my Language and Literature class in school. So my name is George Batra and I currently live in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and I am 15 years old. I am originally Indian, my dad was born and raised there and my mother was born and raised in London but to Indian parents. I was born in Kuwait (Don't ask me why though, heaps of people ask me how the hell was I born in such an odd place) and then I grew up in Australia and UAE and I currently go to Raha International School. To talk about things I like or I love well..... I love food (I pretty much like any cuisine of food, not a fussy eater by any means), I enjoy acting (I've done a few plays the past year and also a short film which is on Youtube) and sports I enjoy playing are tennis and table tennis (some people do not consider table tennis a sport but oh well).

For my goals this year and dreams for the future... well currently I am in the DP course in the IB curriculum and I would like to just be able to get good grades and stay on top of things and not let the DP annoy me or stress to the great measures I have heard other people suffer up until. For my future... I am probably gonna do something in Business and go into real estate, that seems like a good chance it will happen but I am never 100% sure on my future ever and I am not the kind of person that has every single day for the next 100 years of his/her life planned out perfectly bit by bit but I still have a decent outlook and know my interests. Now off to the language part!

Language... the word language has been seen by almost everyone in a completely different way and we all have a different outlook and point of view on what language really is. My definition of language is that language is any form of communication between people whether it be speaking or writing or whatsoever. Language is one of the most important things that exists in this world, if there was no language this world would be going nowhere. I only speak one language English, I sadly don't speak my native language which is Hindi and I have learned Arabic and French in school for already many years now and know at least some of both languages. Language is definitely a very overlooked thing as many of us forget or oversee how language is used and how vital it is. How do we all know each other? How do we all come together? How do we all know whether we like this person or not? well language is used in order to determine an answer to all those questions. To me basically language is an art as it is such a creative tool in this world and one's imagination can see and use language in a variety of beautiful ways.

Moving on from language to culture. Culture springs right off of language, they both are interrelated with each other. Culture is another thing everyone sees and defines differently. To me culture is a country and what ever they do (what they eat, clothes they wear, rules etc). India, United States, United Arab Emirates, Australia, France, China and Nigeria are all different cultures, countries and they all speak different languages and they do things in different ways. All those countries have different kinds of foods and wear different types of clothes etc. Being in an international school for the past 6 years and travelling to over 20 countries around the world, I have been able to meet people and make friends with people from different cultures and countries and become more knowledgeable about the world. Language and Culture play a big part together, when you think about 2 people from Spain communicating with one another,you imagine both of them speaking in Spanish. I have rotated around different cultures in my life, my dad is Indian, my mother is Indian/British while I never lived in India (Only been there once like 10 years ago, so I do not even remember and feel like I have even been there!) nor England (I have been there many times though) and grew up in Australia and in UAE for most of my life so far. I don't really feel so very close to any culture, but I know a good amount of the culture in UAE, in England, in India and in Australia. Cultures differentiate us and who we are from the others, we look different, speak languages that others may not speak, be born in different countries and eat different cuisines of food but we are all one, we are all human. We all determine different cultures from different things, from people who I have met when they think of India the first thing they think is Curry, with Egypt they think of the way people dance and then with USA they think of Mcdonalds (no offense to all the Americans out there but that's the most common answer I get from people who I have met).

I'm sorry but my laptop is having troubles uploading a picture so unfortunately I cannot upload a picture of myself here.







2 comments:

  1. WOW! Over 20 countries? That's crazy but yet so cool! :) That must really affect you're perception on different cultures around the world. I understand what you mean by how you don't necessarily feel close to any specific culture...I feel you bro. I guess it gives you a chance to somewhat keep you're options open to different opportunities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly I like you blog style because it's the same as mine :)
    I think it's so cool that you grew up in places that aren't where you or your parents are originally from because it would make you so much more worldly and open-minded. I enjoy your style of writing ad your opinion on what language and culture is to you. xx

    ReplyDelete